Sign the petition
San Marcos Freedom Act of 2022
We need signatures of registered San Marcos voters so San Marcos can DECRIMINALIZE MARIJUANA. Please help us reach our goal by signing the petition and spreading the word!
Sign the Petition to
Decriminalize Marijuana in San Marcos
Just print the petition, sign and complete the info, and email email@example.com to turn in and have it notarized for free.
Here's how it works
Step 1. Download the petition.
Step 2. Sign the petition.
Step 3. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to turn it in and have it notarized for free.
What you need to know
Petition to decriminalize marijuana
This will be an “initiated ordinance” to change San Marcos city law. The measure will eliminate enforcement of low-level marijuana offenses.
- Keep people out of jail for marijuana possession.
- Prevent racially-biased police practices.
- Advance the movement for medicinal marijuana.
- Protect veterans who use marijuana for pain and PTSD.
- Save scarce public resources for greater needs.
- Lower City liabilities for police abuse cases.
- Get people excited to vote in local elections.
- Lead other Texas cities by showing them what is possible.
- Direct democracy in action.
Frequently asked questions
- Why decriminalize marijuana?
In past years, San Marcos police issued thousands of citations and made hundreds of arrests for marijuana possession. These disproportionately targeted Black and Hispanic community members. To promote justice and avoid waste of tax dollars, we want to redirect resources towards real public safety solutions.
- Does this legalize marijuana?
No, legalization must happen at the state or federal level. This ordinance would direct the police department to stop issuing citations or making arrests for Class A or Class B misdemeanor marijuana possession.
- Who else is helping with this effort?
Ground Game Texas is joining with Mano Amiga in San Marcos to advance the work of decriminalizing marijuana.
- How is this work being paid for?
- Great question! We rely on the support of individual donors to keep our staff in the field. We’d greatly appreciate any donation. Please click the “Donate” tab to contribute today.
- Can I help gather signatures?
- Yes! We’d love your help. This will take many hands to make real. You can share this page with anyone you know. And if you’d like to get more involved, please fill out the volunteer form. Email email@example.com for more information.